Kole Craig no sooner returned from the National High School Finals Rodeo at the end of last month, than he was electrocuted in a bizarre accident July 28 at the Roger and Shelly Diehm farm in northeastern Noble County.
Craig, 16, is in stable condition at Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne, according to his step father Jarrod Lancaster.
According to Lancaster, a double lightening strike electrified everything that would hold a charge in and around the Diehm’s barn. Kole put both hands on a feed trough and, following the laws of nature, the electricity surged through his body to find ground.
Lancaster said Kole’s recovery is slow and has effected his brain patterns, especially the ability to speak.
“He becomes very agitated, too, when we simply walk in the room,” Lancaster said. “We’re not allowing visitors at this time.”
Kole, 16, is an Indiana High School Rodeo champion bull rider and a freshman at Whitko High School. At the national competition he did not qualify for the two 8-second bull rides.